sábado, 17 de marzo de 2007

An adventure today which started out in La Latina

Fed up with the poor quality of the vegetables at my local supermarket, I decided to seek out a typical Spanish style Mercado (market hall). Combined with the fact I had to go to La Latina to pick up a parcel I decided to try out the Mercado de la Cebada. Walking past the Puerta de Toledo and the Cathedral San Francisco el Grande to get to my local postal depot and do my shopping made me realise how lucky I am to be living in Madrid!
















I met with my friend at La Latina and we went to the Mercado. The Mercado is a massive market hall full of stalls of fruit and veg, butchers, fishmongers, cheese sellers - essentially everything! I brought a lot of nice fresh veggies from there, so I was happy. Its nice to know that it's not far from my house. We then went and relaxed with a beer on a plaza nearby looking out to another old Spanish style church on a medieval square. Sitting out there watching the world go by, having a good conversation and blowing bubbles in the sun was just delightful. It's times like this that I appreciate and love about living in Southern Europe. Time seems to go so slowly! We had Patatas Alioli and a glass of Rioja later. Yum.

I had planned to go back to my apartment, clean, relax etc. but my friend mentioned a deadly word to me - "Ooh a hot chocolate would be nice!" as we passed a cafe which said "Hay chocolate caliente". My mouth started salivating at the very thought, but she and I admitted - her hot chocolate is the best! However we would have to travel across Madrid to her apartment as she lived in the North, I in the South. I also had tonnes of shopping so we decided to walk to my house, dump my stuff and go. Our next problem was how to get to her house...

A normal person would have taken the metro, however I thought we could change lines at Atocha and take the bus from my house. It was rather impulsive as the bus was right there when we got to the main road so jumped on it. When we got to Atocha the metro entrance nearest to us was closed, the nearest one was up on the Paseo del Prado. It was very nice in a way though, as my friend had not really seen Atocha (or appreciated it really) from a walker's perspective. Walking up the paseo we decided to take the bus up the Castellana and get off at a stop near her house. Becoming distracted at Nuevos Minesterios due to an outdoor market which was there we alighted from the bus and went to explore... eventually we got to her house and had the best hot chocolate. My legs are tired, but I love to walk around the city. Taking the local bus can also be a treat as you get to see the city and get some perspective of where everything is located; using the metro all the time it is all just names and doesn't mean anything.

1 comentario:

Willow dijo...

Love the blog!! :-) Mmmm....drinking my chocolate and thinking of you now...
I've linked it to my Madrid section of www.gypsygemini.com
kisses!

 
Locations of visitors to this page